hive-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen R. Scaffidi" <>
Subject Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:15:13 GMT
My team and I have been trying, with limited success, to use the COMMENT
feature of hive columns to maintain documentation for the tables and
columns in our data-warehouse built on hive. However, we use a number of
custom and non-native SerDes, and what happens to those tables is that
the comments always get overwritten with the string "from deserializer".

I've possibly found a way to work around this from within hive but I
want to get some insight from the hive-dev community to figure out
whether or not this is a patently bad idea and we are just setting
ourselves up for pain later on.

I won't go into all the details but it seems to work in our (so far)
limited testing. However, we are using hive 0.7.1 and the patch I am
sending is against master/HEAD.

Please let me know if this is an acceptable approach to preserving
column comments with non-native SerDes or not!

View raw message