hive-dev mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jghoman....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:16:03 GMT
You'll need to update your serde to use the method call that takes comments.  See https://github.com/jghoman/haivvreo/commit/29ead1fe101baafa8e9844eaf92022cbe4846c6f
for an example.

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Stephen R. Scaffidi wrote:

> So, the patch doesn not seem to fix the problem we are having, but it
> combined with the one I sent to the list seems to take care of it. I
> will continue to study this issue and report back on any issues.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> On 08/06/2012 06:59 PM, Stephen Scaffid wrote:
> > Thanks! I'll see how it goes!
> >
> > (better yet, this could be what it takes to convince the team to upgrade!)
> >
> > On Aug 6, 2012, at 6:47 PM, Jakob Homan wrote:
> >
> > > This was fixed in Hive 8 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2171).
Can you just apply that patch?

(mailto:sscaffidi@tripadvisor.com)> wrote:
> > > My team and I have been trying, with limited success, to use the COMMENT feature
of hive columns to maintain documentation for the tables and columns in our data-warehouse
built on hive. However, we use a number of custom and non-native SerDes, and what happens
to those tables is that the comments always get overwritten with the string "from deserializer".

> > > I've possibly found a way to work around this from within hive but I want to
get some insight from the hive-dev community to figure out whether or not this is a patently
bad idea and we are just setting ourselves up for pain later on.

> > > I won't go into all the details but it seems to work in our (so far) limited
testing. However, we are using hive 0.7.1 and the patch I am sending is against master/HEAD.

> > > Please let me know if this is an acceptable approach to preserving column comments
with non-native SerDes or not!