hive-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Turn around on patches that do not need full unit testing
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:11:05 GMT
One approach I've seen other projects take is to have an "ant test-commit" target that users
are responsible to run before committing.  This is a short (15 min or less) target that runs
all true unit tests (tests that exercise just a class or two in isolation) and a couple of
functional tests that exercise major functionality but not every last thing.  The full test
suite can then be run nightly and any issues addressed.

Alan.

On Jun 11, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

> I agree. Having a short-test and long-test might make more sense. IE
> long-test includes funky serdes and UDFs.
>
> As for "In the meanwhile, check in without test may introduce bug
> which can break production cluster.costly." the solution is not to run
> trunk. Run only releases.
>
> All the tests are run by jenkins post commit so we know when trunk is
> broken and we should not cut a release if all the tests are not
> passing. Also we should not knowingly break the build or leave it
> broken. IE would should strive to have all tests passing on trunk at
> all times, but not committing a typo patch for fear that the "build
> might break" does not make much sense. We can easily revert things in
> such a case.
>
> Edward
>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Gang Liu <gang@fb.com> wrote:
>> Yeah it is frustrated to take a long time to turn around for a tiny change. It is
understood.

>> In the meanwhile, check in without test may introduce bug which can break production
cluster.costly.

>> I think the problem is not if we should run test but running tests takes long time.
If it takes reasonable time like 30 minutes, we have less pain.