hive-dev mailing list archives

From "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <kulkarni.swar...@gmail.com>
Subject getStructFieldData method on StructObjectInspector
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 20:58:13 GMT
I am trying to write a custom ObjectInspector extending the
StructObjectInspector and got a little confused about the use of the
getStructFieldData method on the inspector. Looking at the definition of
the method:

public Object getStructFieldData(Object data, StructField fieldRef);

I understand that the use of this method is to retrieve the specific given
field from the buffer. However, what I don't understand is what is it
expected to return. I looked around the tests and related code and mostly
stuff returned was either a LazyPrimitive or a LazyNonPrimitive, but I
couldn't find anything that enforces this(specially given that the return
type is a plain "Object")! Does this mean that I am free to return even my
custom object as a return type of this method? If so, what is the guarantee
that it will be interpreted correctly down the pipeline?

Thanks,
--
Swarnim