hive-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Tromans <>
Subject Hive / Hadoop Log Retrieval Problem
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:13:41 GMT
Hi all,

I'm running into a problem - I'm using Hive trunk (pretty recent, but
I see the bug's in trunk at time of writing as well), with Hadoop I have a job which fails (for a reason which is entirely
my own fault), and when it does fail Hive dies with the following

Ended Job = job_201202291327_1399 with errors
Error during job, obtaining debugging information...
Examining task ID: task_201202291327_1399_m_000003 (and more) from job
Examining task ID: task_201202291327_1399_r_000002 (and more) from job
Exception in thread "Thread-342" java.lang.RuntimeException: Error
while reading from task log url
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.errors.TaskLogProcessor.getErrors(
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.JobDebugger.showJobFailDebugInfo(
Caused by: Server returned HTTP response code:
400 for URL: http://...:50060/tasklog?taskid=attempt_201202291327_1399_r_000002_2&start=-8193
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.errors.TaskLogProcessor.getErrors(
       ... 3 more

When I point a web browser at the given URL, I get the following message:

Problem accessing /tasklog. Reason:

   Argument attemptid is required

If I change taskid to attemptid, everything works perfectly. The code
which generates this URL appears to be in I presume that this
code is correct for a given version of Hadoop. Which version is
currently in use in the Jenkins/Hudson build environment? I'd be happy
to change it and submit a patch to JIRA, but I guess that'd probably
break the other version of Hadoop, so perhaps some more profound
versioning type thing might be needed.

This is the issue that HIVE-1579 is referring to.

View raw message