hive-dev mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@fb.com>
Subject Fwd: [DISCUSSION]: Synchronizing HCatalog and Hive trees
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:59:20 GMT
FYI

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Olga Natkovich <olgan@yahoo-inc.com>
> Date: November 9, 2011 2:54:14 PM PST
> To: "hcatalog-dev@incubator.apache.org" <hcatalog-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: [DISCUSSION]: Synchronizing HCatalog and Hive trees
>
> Hi,
>
> Since HCatalog has dependencies on Hive source tree we need to figure out how to stay
in synch with Hive source while not having to deal with random build/test failures on a regular
basis. Here is the proposal:

> (1)    During normal development cycle, HCatalog trunk would use a particular revision
of Hive to build against

> (2)    Any time a change from Hive is needed by Hcatalog, the revision number will move
forward. The developer who is brining this change into Hcatalog is responsible for making
sure that the build is stable before moving the extern tag

> (3)    As part of the HCatalog release process, prior to branching for the release, HCatalog
will be integrated with the latest Hive code.

> a.       This could be the latest Hive release if it contains all the changes required
for Hcatalog or the latest Hive trunk otherwise

> b.      Developer responsible for branching for the release is responsible for stabilizing
the build with the latest Hive code prior to branching. Once the stabilization is done, a
tag is created in Hive and the release branch uses that tag for all builds

> c.       If later on a problem is found with this tag, Hive code would be branched on
the tag and necessary bug fixes applied.