hive-dev mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@fb.com>
Subject Re: A question on how to mark Hive for HCatalog releases
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:46:40 GMT
Sounds good to me.

JVS

On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Alan Gates wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a question of how we should manage marking Hive source code for HCatalog releases.
 For HCatalog 0.1 we used the the 0.7 version of Hive.  But we will get to HCatalog 0.2 before
the Hive community gets to 0.8.  We have added features to Hive since 0.7 that we need in
HCatalog 0.2.   In general, it is not reasonable to assume that Hive and HCatalog releases
will line up such that HCatalog can always depend on a released version of Hive.

> So how should we mark the proper version of Hive code for an HCatalog release?  The only
thing that comes to mind is tagging a particular revision, with the option to branch at that
revision if necessary.  We would only need a branch if something got checked in post tag that
HCatalog needed or wanted, but there were other intervening check ins we did not want.  In
that case we would need to ask you to branch and port the needed change(s).