hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashutosh Chauhan <>
Subject hooks in metastore functions
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 22:12:40 GMT
Hi all,

I have a requirement that every time some change on metastore takes
place, we have some logic which needs to be run. For example, if a new
table is getting created in metastore I want to send a message to a
message bus. Easiest way for this to work is to add the logic in
createTable(). Control it by a hiveConf param and turn it off by
default. Alternative way is via hooks. Have this extra logic in hook
and then load and fire the hook if its available. Does anyone has an
opinion which of these two is preferable. Second one requires new hook
functions: createTable() dropTable() addPartition() dropPartition().
Current, HiveMetaHook which exists in createTable() doesn't perfectly
fit the bill, since it is fired only when user expresses it in his
create table statement (i.e., if he has specified a storage handler)
Instead I want to have this logic always run.
If it is unclear, let me know, I can post the code  which can
demonstrate my usecase.

View raw message