hive-dev mailing list archives

From Anja Gruenheid <anja.gruenh...@gatech.edu>
Subject Query Optimization in Hive
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 16:19:28 GMT
Hi!

I'm a grad student at Georgia Tech and I'm currently working with Hive
for a university project. The project is on query optimization
techniques and possibilities in Hive. I know that there have been a lot
of additions to the ql and metastore components since the latest release
and I was hoping to help advancing those components even further. My
main interests in the course of my research is the storage and use of
metadata to run a cost-based optimizer. This involves basic
optimizations using for example the table size for cost estimations, but
also more advanced approaches using histograms. I know that table and
partition information is already collected in Hive, but from what I
could gather, column metadata and histograms are still open. Would it be
possible for me to contribute to the project in that area?

Anja