hive-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [howldev] RE: Howl Authorization proposal
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:22:06 GMT
John,

It's not clear to us whether, if a traditional ACL model was
available, we would still need the HDFS model.  I suspect so, but I'm
not sure.

We had a few concerns with the full ACL model that caused us to avoid
it at least initially.  In this model Hive/Howl has to own all the
files and set them to be 700.  Otherwise someone else can go
underneath and read them via HDFS.  Maybe this is ok, but I wonder if
it will make it harder to administer.

Our biggest concern is that HDFS already has a permissions model, why
create a whole new one?  It is a lot of duplication.  And that
duplication will flow through to things like logging and auditing, all
of which Hive/Howl will now need in addition to HDFS.  To justify this
we needed to understand what additional benefits a traditional ACL
model would get us.  We were not able to come up with compelling use
cases where we had to have this traditional model.

One clear issue with using HDFS is extending it to non-HDFS based
tables (such as Hbase).  So we should work on this being an interface
that uses the underlying security (be it HDFS or Hbase or whatever).

All that said, I see no problem with having two models for now, and
seeing which turns out to better provide what users need and/or be
easier to maintain.

Alan.