hive-dev mailing list archives

From Joydeep Sen Sarma <jssa...@facebook.com>
Subject branching Hive and getting to first release
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 06:30:06 GMT
Hey folks,

A few of us were chatting earlier today (some Facebook and Cloudera folks) on best approach
to get to a first Hive release.

While 0.2 has been branched - it seems awkward to base the first release on it. The reason
is twofold:

-          new changes to trunk since 0.2 have been relatively contained AFAIK (so no added
instability). As evidence - Facebook has reverted to running trunk in production for the last
week or so.
-          the changes that have gone into trunk since 0.2 are extremely important from performance
perspective. This includes the LazySerDe that Zheng added and upcoming hive-232.

So one proposal is to branch 0.3 at this point and try to make that first official release
for Hive.

This does look a little haphazard - and the natural question is whether we can stick to this
(or we end up repeating this once we throw in some more goodies). The feeling is that this
may be a good time - hive-279 has major changes to the hive compiler and branching 0.3 before
those changes are checked in gives us a good chance of producing a stable release with good
performance (and the major changes will probably prevent us from repeating this trick going
forward :)).

What do people think?

Joydeep