hive-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>
Subject Re: branching Hive and getting to first release
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:53:32 GMT
To be honest I must've missed that 0.2 was branched (I found the email
now though), was there a feature freeze date set?

After branching shouldn't we have moved the non critical issues to 0.3
and pushed for fixing the remaining bugs in order to release?

That aside, I don't have a strong opinion whether the next release is
0.2 or 0.3, since there hasn't been an Apache release yet. How about
setting a feature freeze date now and take it from there?

/Johan

Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A few of us were chatting earlier today (some Facebook and Cloudera folks) on best approach
to get to a first Hive release.

> While 0.2 has been branched - it seems awkward to base the first release on it. The reason
is twofold:

> -          new changes to trunk since 0.2 have been relatively contained AFAIK (so no
added instability). As evidence - Facebook has reverted to running trunk in production for
the last week or so.
> -          the changes that have gone into trunk since 0.2 are extremely important from
performance perspective. This includes the LazySerDe that Zheng added and upcoming hive-232.

> So one proposal is to branch 0.3 at this point and try to make that first official release
for Hive.

> This does look a little haphazard - and the natural question is whether we can stick
to this (or we end up repeating this once we throw in some more goodies). The feeling is that
this may be a good time - hive-279 has major changes to the hive compiler and branching 0.3
before those changes are checked in gives us a good chance of producing a stable release with
good performance (and the major changes will probably prevent us from repeating this trick
going forward :)).