hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <>
Subject RE: Server time zone !
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:30:05 GMT
You could just use the

to get the current timezone.

-----Original Message-----
From: Zheng Shao []
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: Server time zone !

Not yet. I think JVM take the environment variable TZ for that purpose for all java-related

In build-common.xml you should find the following:
<env key="TZ" value="US/Pacific"/>

This makes sure all current UDFs related to time/date are using the US/Pacific time zone.
(Note: all these UDFs are operating on String and Integer types right now)

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Shyam Sarkar <>wrote:

> Is there any 'Server's time zone' implementation inside Hive? For
> proper implementation of TIMESTAMP data type, this is necessay to
> translate from stored string type. I am focusing on MySQL 6.0 (with
> limited properties) for TIMESTAMP.
> Thanks,
> Shyam

View raw message