heron-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving to Apache
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 00:19:09 GMT
Hi -

I will answer with two hats - (1) IPMC member and mentor to other projects, and (2) Brand
committee member.

> On Feb 27, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Jerry Peng <jerry.boyang.peng@gmail.com <mailto:jerry.boyang.peng@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just want to start an email thread discussing moving Heron to
> Apache.  There are some items we need to figure out for this:
>
> 1. Moving the code to Apache github
>
> I was told that an repo can be transferred to another account and
> people have done this in the past to move to the Apache github
> account.  This is the best way to move the code to be under apache
> since with this method heron will keep all its stars and forks.
>
> We need to start converting heron packages from com.twitter -> org.apache.
>
> Ideally this whole process of migrating to Apache will not be a
> blocker for development and releases.
>
> Thus, if mentors or people with experience in this area want to chime
> in on the exact details (step by step) of what needs to be do for
> heron to be completely migrated to Apache that would be great!

(1) Transfer GitHub. Create an Infrastructure JIRA issue to convert the twitter repository
to apache/incubator-heron/. You will need to have an admin for twitter give an ASF Infra admin
rights to move.
(2) Once moved then your apache-id and your GitHub id are associated through id.apache.org
<http://id.apache.org/>. You setup 2FA.
(3) Once IDs and the repository are moved then you can begin.
(4) Someone from Twitter in the project should make the changes.
(5) As an Incubator podling you then begin making releases. You aren’t expected to get it
correct the first time, but the closer you are the sooner you can graduate. The policy [1]
and additional constraints for podlings. [2]

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html <http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html>
[2] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>

> 2. Moving website to heron.apache.org <http://heron.apache.org/>
>
> What do we want to do here?  Migrate the whole website to
> heron.apache.org <http://heron.apache.org/>? And Have heron.io <http://heron.io/>
forward to heron.apache.org <http://heron.apache.org/>?

Yes. And Yes. There are other branding and incubator policies for the website. [3]

[3] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs <https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs>

For those of you using the Heron brand in your site please see [4] for the policies.

[4] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/ <https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/>

For special branding rules during incubation. [5]

[5] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html>

> 3.  How can we use apache infra
>
> I think committers/mentors need to file some tickets to apache infra for this.

A ticket for Github/GitBox is required.

> How can we use the apache infra to do apache release for heron?

Follow the rules above and ask questions as you go.

Best Regards,
Dave