heron-dev mailing list archives

From Julien Le Dem <julien.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating Heron code to Apache
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2017 00:32:35 GMT
Sorry for the late reply.
+1 to moving to apache git first.
+1 on using gitbox so that the github repo is writable. That should
simplify a lot of things.
When we migrated parquet, we first moved the code to apache git and only
later renamed packages to the new org.apache.parquet namespace.
For java artifacts. I'd recommend renaming packages and maven group in the
same release to avoid weird dependency conflicts (you don't want 2 maven
artifacts with different coordinates but same class name). If you follow
this convention, you force yourself to post org.apache maven artifacts only
once you rename your packages.
We still did a few twitter releases while the projects was not ready yet to
make apache release (updating the build, notice, etc). It is ok but it must
be very clear that those are not official apache releases. Official Apache
releases must be voted on by the PMC (and the IPMC in the incubator). And
you need to make sure you're still mking progress towards apache official
releases which is the point of the incubation.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't believe the location of the code influences the type of release
> allowed. For example, I believe the Parquet project to did a non-Apache
> release after migrating. Maybe Julien can confirm that. Or Jake/another can
> reconfirm/refute my memory.
>

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Bill Graham <billgraham@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Jacques, I was under the impression that once the code was imported to
> > apache, releases had to be apache releases. This would require 1 and a
> > number of other changes. Is that not the case? The motivation for doing 1
> > first was so we could continue to cut releases as needed during that
> > effort.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 7:41 AM Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm -0 on plan.
> > >
> > > Why not just import code then do changes 1 and 2 after 3? Just seems
> like
> > > getting 3 done is a key blocking item on forward progress of the
> > community.

> > johndament@apache.org>

> > github

> use