heron-dev mailing list archives

From Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello heron community
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:13:12 GMT
Thanks Sanjeev,  I had an initial idea that I wanted to float on the list, I was thinking that
as part of the initial scala port of the API I'd like to propose that we use this tool: http://javatoscala.com/

Java to Scala converter<http://javatoscala.com/>
javatoscala.com
How does it work? Java to Scala converter is created with Play framework and Scalagen library.
I don't want you to see my code. No problem. Java to Scala converter ...

I propose that we use the above tool to do an initial conversion of all the Java functional
and oo interfaces and then plug that into the initial design doc as well as the codebase to
get things off the ground.   I have already forked the heron repo and will be doing this off
of a child branch based on my fork.

How does that sound to folks, anyone has strong objections, of course I fully realize that
I will still need to do a lot of work around refactoring the code even when using the converter
so I'm prepared for that, the goal in using the converters is to save a bit of time so that
manual intervention isnt necessarily needed in designing every interface.

Thoughts.

________________________________
From: Sanjeev Kulkarni <sanjeevrk@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:18 PM
To: dev@heron.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hello heron community

Hi Saikat,
Welcome to the Heron users group. Your plan of action sounds good to me. A
native scala interface would be great for all those scala fans. Eagerly
awaiting design doc.
Thanks!

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I'm interested in taking and driving the following github component (this
> means design/development/architecture and more).
>

> https://github.com/twitter/heron/issues/668
[https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/367684?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/twitter/heron/issues/668>

Ability to write native scala topologies · Issue #668 · twitter/heron<https://github.com/twitter/heron/issues/668>
github.com