heron-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REPORT] Apache Heron (incubating) - October 2017
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:42:56 GMT
Currently the migration to Apache infra is stalled since we are waiting on
the SGA from Twitter. Numerous attempts over the past few months have been
made to get an update from Twitter legal regarding the submittal of the
SGA, and no response has been received. Perhaps that hasn't been spelled
out as clearly as it should have been in our reports. Without that we can
not move code to Apache infra as I understand it. If anyone from Twitter
has a status update on the SGA to share, please do.

Github Issues will be used in lieu of jira. The dev list has migrated to
Apache. The users list will migrate to Apache infra once the code is
migrated and we are approaching an Apache release.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM, William Markito Oliveira <
markito@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> code repository [3] is empty.   As per the report, the code import is
> on-going, but are there infra tickets open to request Wiki and Jira ?Status
> on those ? That would be a good way to start publicly tracking what's
> going-on, what's planned, etc..  Any plans to migrate the website [4] as
> well ?
>
> Happy to assist with some of the tasks as well.
>
> [1] Wiki - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HERON
> [2] JIRA - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/Heron/
> [3] Code repository -
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-heron.git
> [4] Website - https://heron.incubator.apache.org/
> -
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:52 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Can someone point me to the slack channel?
> >
> > I agree that it’s hard to get a handle on where things stand and how
> > decisions are being made based on the mailing list traffic. I see the
> > “heron-users” google group is still active, I don’t see any reason to
> delay
> > closing that down in favor of the user@ mailing list.
> >
> > Right now I don’t see the level of collaboration I would hope for, but I
> > might just be missing what’s going on in slack. Regardless, collaboration
> > on slack should be secondary to the mailing lists, and all decision
> making
> > should really be done via the mailing lists.
> >
> > -Taylor
> >
> > > On Oct 10, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey guys, I think it would be worthwhile to provide some additional
> > flavor
> > > around the SGA/ICLA discussions in the report. The clear question from
> > > outsiders will be "why is it taking so long" and "what other options
> have
> > > been pursued". The report should do its best to address these issues.
> > >
> > > A second thing that I think should be covered is how we're going to
> > engage
> > > the broader community. Looking at the dev lists, I see very little
> > > engagement from either the active engineers or new engineers. If I
> wanted
> > > to get started contributing to the project, I'd struggle if trying to
> > > interact with the mailing list. There is a bit more life on the Slack
> > > channel but in general, development seems pretty opaque (or inactive).
> > How
> > > do we improve that? Do others agree that there is a challenge? Maybe we
> > > feel like this will get in better shape once things are transitioned
> > over?
> > > Do we need to come up with additional ways to make development
> > > collaborative and the community expanding? A discussion of roadmap?
> > Weekly
> > > synopsis of slack channel activity? Other ideas? Not necessary yet?

SGA from