heron-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REPORT] Apache Heron (incubating) - October 2017
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:18:08 GMT
Sorry, I thought you wanted your and Taylors comments included in the
report as observations. I've removed them.

I noted in the report that developer discussions have moved towards the
mailing list in the last month, a time which shows a noticeable increase in
mailing list discussions and engagement from what was previously happening
on slack. There's certainly room to improve on that front. I'd like to hear
from the more active project contributors ideas for improving mailing list
discussions. (I'm taking some time off temporarily and not actively
developing atm.)

Regarding moving the users list to Apache, I think it's too soon for that.
IIRC we previously came to consensus (on slack, before the apache lists
existed, with Jake et al) that we would migrate those discussions once we
we migrated the code into Apache (i.e., code has moved and we're preparing
our first release). Until then, from a users perspective I think it would
be confusing to have user discussions on Apache while the code is still not
Apache-owned and non-Apache releases are still being made. We can revisit
that plan if people feel that's not the right approach.

I feel like the project migration is a bit in a limbo state while people
wait (and wonder about) the status of the SGA. Once that happens, I feel
the migration can move at a better pace.