heron-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REPORT] Apache Heron (incubating) - October 2017
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 17:10:14 GMT
Thanks Bill. I’ve signed off on the report.

-Taylor

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 7:20 PM, Bill Graham <billgraham@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good call. I initially debated whether that discussion was worthy of the monthly report.
I've updated the report with the following section, and I've opened LEGAL-339 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-339>
for clarification on the issue.

> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
> aware of?
>
>    Migration to Apache infrastructure is waiting on the SGA from Twitter which has not
provided an ETA. There was a discussion on the general incubator and Heron dev lists[1] about
whether an SGA was required, but consensus was not reached. LEGAL-339 [2] has been filed to
get clarification.

> 1 - https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a5c3ea63e8a07aeb2fb3e3627646198bd35db12b590f71e437130a98@%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a5c3ea63e8a07aeb2fb3e3627646198bd35db12b590f71e437130a98@%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E>
> 2 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-339 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-339>

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com <mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> There was some discussion earlier about whether an SGA was required or whether signed
ICLAs from contributors would suffice, but I don’t think there was a conclusion reached.

> You may want to mention that in the report, or shoot a question to general@incubator.a.o
so see if we can get a definitive answer.

> -Taylor
>

> > On Oct 12, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Bill Graham <billgraham@gmail.com <mailto:billgraham@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> > Sorry, I thought you wanted your and Taylors comments included in the
> > report as observations. I've removed them.
> >
> > I noted in the report that developer discussions have moved towards the
> > mailing list in the last month, a time which shows a noticeable increase in
> > mailing list discussions and engagement from what was previously happening
> > on slack. There's certainly room to improve on that front. I'd like to hear
> > from the more active project contributors ideas for improving mailing list
> > discussions. (I'm taking some time off temporarily and not actively
> > developing atm.)
> >
> > Regarding moving the users list to Apache, I think it's too soon for that.
> > IIRC we previously came to consensus (on slack, before the apache lists
> > existed, with Jake et al) that we would migrate those discussions once we
> > we migrated the code into Apache (i.e., code has moved and we're preparing
> > our first release). Until then, from a users perspective I think it would
> > be confusing to have user discussions on Apache while the code is still not
> > Apache-owned and non-Apache releases are still being made. We can revisit
> > that plan if people feel that's not the right approach.
> >
> > I feel like the project migration is a bit in a limbo state while people
> > wait (and wonder about) the status of the SGA. Once that happens, I feel
> > the migration can move at a better pace.
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org <mailto:jacques@apache.org>>
wrote:

> >> Hey Bill,
> >>
> >> Do you disagree with Taylor and my comments? My goal was to provide
> >> feedback/guidance so that you could incorporate in your reporting. My
> >> comments weren't for the incubator PMC/board, they were for the PPMC.

You can self invite at