heron-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Ramasamy <kart...@streaml.io>
Subject PEX upgrade to 1.2.11
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2017 17:16:25 GMT
All -

I would like to move the PEX used by Heron to the latest version. The big
advantage of this new version is that it allows to generate multi-platform
PEX files.

Typically, we upgrade by checking in the PEX sources into the Heron repo.
This is not desirable since the code needs to be maintained and some
changes to make it work in the repo. Instead a desirable approach is to
download the PEX code and dependencies and build them on the fly. This
makes it easier to maintain and upgrade quickly. We use bazel to do heavy
lifting for the download and building PEX using a wrapper script as
specified in

https://github.com/benley/bazel_rules_pex

Using the later approach, I have completed the update in the following PR:

https://github.com/twitter/heron/pull/2314

The PR does the following

- Upgrade PEX and its dependencies to 1.2.11
- It uses bazel http file to download the repo and compile
- It loads the pex rules and java_tests apriori using
tools/build_rules/prelude_bazel (this is convenient so that you don't need
to include them in every files)

Let me know your thoughts.

cheers
/karthik