heron-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Ramasamy <kart...@streaml.io>
Subject Upgrade protobuf to 3.4
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2017 17:29:44 GMT
All -

We need to upgrade protobuf to version 3.4 (the latest is 3.4.1). The
latest protobuf version brings in a lot of performance improvements + the
protobuf languge makes all the attributes optional.

To preserve backward compatibility, let me propose the following

- Preserve the proto2 compatibility and upgrade (this does not break
anything).
- Once proto2 (with protobuffers 3.4) is stable, we can upgrade proto2
syntax to proto3 syntax

I have submitted the PR

https://github.com/twitter/heron/pull/2316

This PR upgrades protobuf to 3.4, adds a patch to use C++11x for higher
performance, removes some objective C related code and tests. All the tests
run fine with this upgrade.

Let me know if you any feedback.

cheers
/karthik