helix-user mailing list archives

From Ravindra Pindikura <ravin...@dremio.com>
Subject routing service requests with helix
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2019 13:59:12 GMT
Hi all,

I'm exploring helix for a project that involves multiple microservices on
kubernetes. Say, ServiceA and ServiceB are consumers of two services -
ServiceC and ServiceD. The two services, ServiceC and ServiceD manage two
different resources in helix (they have a participant role, with
partitions).

What's the recommended way to do the routing of rpc calls from service A/B
to service C/D ?

One possibility is to make the instances of serviceA and serviceB as
spectators and use the routingTable APIs from helix
<http://helix.apache.org/0.9.1-docs/tutorial_spectator.html>. but, this
requires modifying both services to include and run the spectator library.

Is it possible to integrate this capability into a load balancer or proxy
instead ? I looked at envoy, linkerd and gce - none of them seem to have
hooks to plug in this type of an agent. I'm fairly new to helix and load
balancers so I probably missed some of the capabilities - Would appreciate
your thoughts or pointers on this.

--
Thanks and regards,
Ravindra.