helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: External view change notifications to clients
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:19:50 GMT
lets break it into two parts. Update to ExternalView is done by the
controller. The clients are notified of the change through a Zookeeper
callback. Its not guaranteed that all clients will receive the callback at
the same time.

In general, its not a good idea to rely on every client seeing the same
view at the same time (its impossible to achieve this in a distributed
system). However, it is the view is timeline consistent. For e.g if
controller changes the external view to EV(t1), EV(t2), EV(t3) the clients
will get notified in the same order. Another thing you should be aware is
that if these changes happen in quick succession, its possible that the
client only sees EV(t1) and EV(t3).

Can you provide more details on what you are planning to achieve. We can
suggest the right design.