helix-user mailing list archives

From Michael Craig <mcr...@box.com>
Subject Re: Correct way to redistribute work from disconnected instances?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 03:55:23 GMT
Thanks for the quick response Kishore. This issue is definitely tied to the
condition that partitions * replicas < NODE_COUNT.
If all running nodes have a "piece" of the resource, then they behave well
when the LEADER node goes away.

Is it possible to use Helix to manage a set of resources where that
condition is true? I.e. where the *total *number of partitions/replicas in
the cluster is greater than the node count, but each individual resource
has a small number of partitions/replicas.

(Calling rebalance on every liveInstance change does not seem like a good
solution, because you would have to iterate through all resources in the
cluster and rebalance each individually.)