helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to manage a cluster with 10k nodes (or 100k partitions) using Helix?
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2015 06:33:25 GMT
Hi Ken,

The maximum we have seen in few thousands of nodes in one cluster and
around 30-40k partitions. I don't think we have tried 10 thousand nodes in
production. Here are few things you might want to deal with the scale.

   1. Need 5 or 7 zookeepers, each participant of Helix creates one
   connection to Zookeeper. Assuming even distribution this means 2k
   connections per zookeeper server.
   2. For large number of partitions you can use the new compression
   support added in 0.6.5
   3. Configure the resource to use group message feature, this will allow
   Helix to automatically group multiple state transitions messages into 1

There are more optimizations possible but that depends on the exact use
case.

thanks,
Kishore G