helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: managing a Kafka consumer group using Helix
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:50:34 GMT
you bet :-)

Kafka had its own consumer group implementation before Helix was
implemented.

We have implemented a similar consumer group pattern for Databus, so its
definitely possible to extend it to Kafka.

Regarding your questions.

1. Yes, current rebalancer handles one resource at a time, we had some
discussion about having a composite rebalancer that rebalances multiple
resources at once. Even without this feature, its possible to read the
entire cluster data from the rebalancer and make the decision considering
other resources.
2. Probably not a good idea to put all topics in one resource even with
bucketing support.
3. Theoretically, group of changes does not matter if its within a resource
v/s across resource. Its the overall change that matters.
4. We have gone up to 2000 resources across the cluster. This is not using
one ZNode. I dont think its a good idea to have one ZNode for all resources.

thanks,
Kishore G