helix-user mailing list archives

From Shirshanka Das <shirsha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re-define: What is Helix
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:49:57 GMT
Think about analogies to netty for network programming in Java&nbsp;

    _____________________________
From: kishore g &lt;g.kishore@gmail.com&gt;
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:46 AM
Subject: Re-define: What is Helix
To:  &lt;user@helix.apache.org&gt;,  &lt;dev@helix.apache.org&gt;

Hi,This is something that has been bothering most of us. Should we callHelix *&quot;clustermanagement
framework&quot;*? Its a framework alright, but is it clustermanager?- I am not sure. Cluster
management is a broad term and can meandifferent things to different people. But the most
common understanding ofcluster management term is managing a set of machines and starting/stoppingprocesses
on those machines. In other words, it cluster management issynonymous to a deployment solution.Because
of this terminology, Helix is often compared with Mesos/YARN/Ambariand other frameworks that
manage the start/stop of processes. I haveanswered this athttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/16401412/apache-helix-vs-yarn
but everyone i talk to ask the same question again and again. For e.g. some oneasked if they
can put together a Hadoop Cluster using Helix. Here is the Hadoopecosystem table where Helix
islabelled as system deployment.I feel the best way to clear this confusion is re-brand Helix
as somethingelse that  helps one understand what it is and when can some one use it.What do
others think. Any suggestions on what we should re-brand it as?thanks,Kishore G