helix-user mailing list archives

From Kanak Biscuitwala <kana...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Need two kinds of DROPPED states?
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 17:23:02 GMT
If your meta-resource follows the CUSTOMIZED rebalance mode, then you won't get dropped transitions
unless you explicitly remove the entry from the ideal state.

An initial version of the task framework is in the helix-0.6.x branch. Unfortunately we don’t
have much documentation at this point, but you can take a look at TestTaskRebalancer for an
example. There’s still work to do from there, but this should be enough to hopefully get
started.

> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 09:42:03 -0700
> From: vinayakb@gmail.com
> To: user@helix.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Need two kinds of DROPPED states?
>
> Yes, your interpretation is correct.
>
> I thought about using your meta-resource idea, but it suffers from a
> similar problem as what I am currently facing. The partitions of the
> meta-resource will be "placed" on some participant by Helix. Now imagine
> that participant fails. The partition of the meta-resource will go
> through its DROPPED state to get placed elsewhere. So that DROPPED state
> is still discernible from the partition being dropped to reflect
> dropping of the resource it represents. Either I misunderstood your
> solution (1) or I need to somehow have a participant that never fails.
>
> I can see how to use the task framework to build a reliable workflow
> with a sequence of steps where one of the steps is to do the final
> cleanup. Is this already available in the codebase (if I was willing to
> make my own build)?
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak
>

> On 5/19/14, 9:11 AM, Kanak Biscuitwala wrote:
>> So if I understand correctly, you basically want to know if state should be kept
in case the partition could move back, or not. Right now, Helix treats a dropped resource
as if all its partitions have been dropped. Separately, Helix treats a moved partition as
a dropped partition on one participant and an added partition on another participant. So they're
currently very much linked.

>> This requires some more thought, but here's what comes to mind:
>>
>> 1. Have a meta-resource whose partitions are simply the names of the other resources
in the cluster. When you drop a resource, the operation would be to simultaneously drop the
resource and drop the partition from the meta resource. Then you can get a separate transition
for dropped resource. I haven't thought about the race conditions here, and there could be
some impact depending on your app.

>> 2. In the upcoming task framework, create a task that manages the drop resource scenario
from beginning to end, for instance call helixadmin#dropresource, wait for external view to
converge, issue cleanup requests to participants. Participants would implement a cleanup callback.
This is something we're get out the door this quarter.