helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Dependency on Zookeeper at runtime
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 00:08:25 GMT
Nice article by Pinterest folks on Zookeeper as SPoF.
http://engineering.pinterest.com/post/77933733851/zookeeper-resilience-at-pinterest

Though I agree with the problems, not sure I would go the extent of having
separate daemons, it introduces more fault points.

However, with Helix we have designed the system to continue to work in the
current state if Zookeeper crashes. Atleast I had that goal during initial
coding phase.

Basically the system to work as if nothing happened. The only compromise is
that no more transitions can happen in the system while zookeeper is down.

Should we add an integration test to always guarantee this property. Is
this valuable.

thanks,
Kishore G