helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Helix V2 0.7.0
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:33:10 GMT
Hi,

We have made lot of good changes in 0.7.0 and improved the api's. However,
I think it is not  easy/intuitive for a new user. One of the problems with
0.7.0 code is that we tried to maintain complete backward compatibility
with respect to both logical api's and physical layout on zookeeper.

Trying to maintain the logical api backward compatibility has definitely
caused some pain and did not allow us to do the right thing in 0.7.0 and it
has made our code base huge. The reasoning here is - when we built Helix
((almost 3 years back), we did not anticipate Helix being used  in other
systems. So our main focus was minimal code and to make sure it works for
the use case we had. We did not gather much feedback from users.

However, we are seeing the usage grow and while everyone agrees that the
high level concepts are good, it is apparent that api's are making people
shy away from Helix. I would even say some of the terminologies are
confusing until you spend quite some time with Helix.

I want to see what others think about this.

We have two options going forward

Option1: Continue to maintain backward compatibility and improving the api's
Option2: Break the api compatibility and call it Helix V2. We redesign our
api's and make it more intuitive and easier/flexible to use.

I think the core functionality and design is great and don't see much
change needed in the architecture (Do let us know if you think we need any
change). What is lacking is documentation and a simple set of api's that
are intuitive.

While Option 1 is great for existing users, I prefer Option2. We will
redesign the 0.7.0 api's without maintaining backward compatibility. Lot of
work has already been done in 0.7.0, so we are not that far. This also
gives chance to the community to contribute and provide
suggestions/feedback/ideas.

For existing users, we will continue to maintain 0.6.2 and continue to make
critical bug fixes. But no new features will be added.

Thoughts ?

thanks,
Kishore G