helix-user mailing list archives

From Kanak Biscuitwala <kana...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Helix V2 0.7.0
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:09:30 GMT
The biggest problem is that we pretty much have to backport bug fixes forever if we completely
break compatibility. Here's what I think we could do:

1) Remove APIs that we're confident no one uses or can use (the alerting stuff)
2) Keep the interfaces for the most common currently used APIs (HelixManagerFactory, HelixManager,
HelixAdmin, ClusterSetup, command line, REST), but use our new implementations underneath
(HelixConnection, HelixController, HelixParticipant, HelixSpectator, HelixAdministrator).
This means there will be breakages for people who used the implementation classes directly,
but the changes would be minor.
3) Provide adapters between common new and old APIs (HelixConnectionAdapter is an example)
4) Maintain the model package as-is

This way, there's a clear transition path from one branch to another and we can eventually
end support for the old branch.