helix-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Restarting a participant with same configuration
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 08:49:52 GMT
Hi,

For a participant to register with Helix, we setup a configuration, then add an instance to
Helix with "HelixAdmin#addInstance(clusterName, config);"

When a given participant fails / stops and is restarted, it will reuse the same Helix configuration
that the failed/stopped instance it replaces (it reads the same config file and runs on the
same host etc...). However since Helix kept the previous instance and configuration, it will
reject this one (throwing a runtime HelixException).

One way to overcome this issue is to capture the exception, drop the instance from Helix (HelixAdmin#dropInstance)
and add it again. I'm not sure that's a very appropriate solution though, and was wondering
whether there was a better way?

Thanks!

Matthieu