helix-user mailing list archives

From Lance Co Ting Keh <la...@box.com>
Subject calling admin.rebalance
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 04:33:17 GMT
I have a quick implementation question. How often is admin.reblance meant
to be called? I know at the dawn of time, when the first controller and
participant is added onto an empty cluster, admin.rebalance needs to be
called before the controller assigns the initial mapping. After this, new
controllers/participants are added to the cluster know how to handle
themselves, controllers become slave to an existing master controller (if
there is one) and the cluster is rebalanced to include the new participant.
I'm assuming the master controller automatically does this rebalancing, so
rebalance need not be called when adding succeeding participants.So should
admin.rebalance only be called at the dawn of time? Is there harm to
calling it every time a new participant is added--will this cause too many
remaps?

Thank you
Lance