helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: General Architecture built around Helix
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 04:07:19 GMT
Hi Lance,

Thanks for your interest in Helix. There are two possible approaches

1. Similar to what you suggested: Write a Helix Participant in non-jvm
language which in your case is node.js. There seem to be quite a few
implementations in node.js that can interact with zookeeper. Helix
participant does the following ( you got it right but i am providing right
sequence)

   1. Create an ephemeral node under LIVEINSTANCES
   2. watches /INSTANCES/<PARTICIPANT_NAME>/MESSAGES node for transitions
   3. After transition is completed it updates
   /INSTANCES/<PARTICIPANT_NAME>/CURRENTSTATE

Controller is doing most of the heavy lifting of ensuring that these
transitions lead to the desired configuration. Its quite easy to
re-implement this in any other language, the most difficult thing would be
zookeeper binding. We have used java bindings and its solid.
This is at a very high level, there are some more details I have left out
like handling connection loss/session expiry etc that will require some
thinking.

2. The other option is to use the Helix-agent as a proxy: We added Helix
agent as part of 0.6.1, we havent documented it yet. Here is the gist of
what it does. Think of it as a generic state transition handler. You can
configure Helix to run a specific system command as part of each
transition. Helix agent is a separate process that runs along side your
actual process. Instead of the actual process getting the transition, Helix
Agent gets the transition. As part of this transition the Helix agent can
invoke api's on the actual process via RPC, HTTP etc. Helix agent simply
acts as a proxy to the actual process.

I have another approach and will try to write it up tonight, but before
that I have few questions

   1. How many node.js servers run on each node one or >1
   2. Spectator/router is java or non java based ?
   3. Can you provide more details about your state machine.

thanks,
Kishore G