helix-user mailing list archives

From Lance Co Ting Keh <la...@box.com>
Subject General Architecture built around Helix
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 18:07:39 GMT
Hi my name is Lance Co Ting Keh and I work at Box. You guys did a
tremendous job with Helix. We are looking to use it to manage a cluster
primarily running Node.js. Our model for using Helix would be to have
node.js or some other non-JVM library be *Participants*, a router as a *
Spectator* and another set of machines to serve as the *Controllers *(pending
testing we may just run master-slave controllers on the same instances as
the Participants) . The participants will be interacting with Zookeeper in
two ways, one is to receive helix state transition messages through the
instance of the HelixManager <Participant>, and another is to directly
interact with Zookeeper just to maintain ephemeral nodes within /INSTANCES.
Maintaining ephemeral nodes directly to Zookeeper would be done instead of
using InstanceConfig and calling addInstance on HelixAdmin because of the
basic health checking baked into maintaining ephemeral nodes. If not we
would then have to write a health checker from Node.js and the JVM running
the Participant. Are there better alternatives for non-JVM Helix
participants? I corresponded with Kishore briefly and he mentioned
HelixAgents specifically ProcessMonitorThread that came out in the last
release.

Thank you very much!

Lance Co Ting Keh