helix-user mailing list archives

From Lance Co Ting Keh <la...@box.com>
Subject Re: General Architecture built around Helix
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:30:25 GMT
We have a working prototype of basically something like #2 you proposed
above. We're using the standard helix participant, and on the @Transitions
of the state model send commands to node.js via Http.

I want to run you through our general architecture to make sure we are not
violating anything on the Helix side. As a reminder, what we need to
guarantee is that an any given time one and only one node.js process is in
charge of a task.

1. A machine with N cores will have N (pending testing) node.js processes
running
2. Associated with each of the N node processes are also N Helix
participants (separate JVM instances -- reason for this to come later)
3. Separate helix controller will be running on the machine and will just
leader elect between machines.
4. The spectator router will likely be HAProxy and thus a linux kernel will
run JVM to serve as Helix spectator
5. The state machine for each will simply be ONLINEOFFLINE mode. (however i
do get error messages that say that i havent defined an OFFLINE to DROPPED
mode, i was going to ask you this but this is a minor detail compared to
the rest of the architecture)
5. Simple Bash script will serve as a watch dog on each node.js and helix
participant pair. If any of the two are "dead" the other process must
immediately be SIGKILLED, hence the need for one JVM serving as Helix
Participant for every Node.js
6. Each node.js instance sets a watch on /LIVEINSTANCES straight to
zookeeper as an extra safety blanket. If it finds that it is NOT in the
liveinstances it likely means that its JVM participant lost its connection
to Zookeeper, but the process is still running so the bash script has not
terminated the node server. In this case the node server must end its own
process.

Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,
Lance