helix-user mailing list archives

From Ming Fang <mingf...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Is zookeeper for Helix has standalone JAVA process?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:28:54 GMT
ZAC currently runs Zookeeper in standalone mode.
Therefore you can only run one instance.
If you also run the participant in it then that limits you to one instance of the participant
also.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 14, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:

> Hi Ming,
>
> Thank you for fast turnaround response.
>
> Could I run my app that uses Helix (participant), controller and zookeeper on the same
process?

> Cheers,
> Erwin
>
> On Jun 14, 2013 2:16 PM, "Ming Fang" <mingfang@mac.com> wrote:
>> Erwin
>>
>> Here is an example of running Zookeeper, and Controller in the same process,
>> https://github.com/mingfang/apache-helix/blob/master/helix-example/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/examples/ZAC.java
>> We have this in production.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2013, at 3:34 AM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know that it's better that participants, controller and zookeeper will have
separate java processes but we have more then 40 boxes with app server that we'd like to manage
them with Helix Leader election and cannot add more processes because each additional java
process requires management (monitoring, alarms, KPI, etc...), so we prefer to avoid the additional
java processes. We'll not manage to approve additional processes

>>> Your insight would appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Erwin

and Helix controller. Its better that they are two separate process. These boxes need not
be powerful but isolating zookeeper and helix controller from actual server is a good deployment
practice. See http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_zkMulitServerSetup
on how to use zookeeper clustering ensemble.

part of these processes, instead simply provide the zookeeper address (zk1:port1,zk2:port2,zk3:port3)
when you invoke Helix Api.

Zookeeper programmatically using the Zookeeper API.

from the Helix app (out app that uses Helix) would we have specific process for Zookeeper?
Would we have one process for our app and another for the Zookeeper?
app programmatically but using the commands, whether then would we have specific process for
Zookeeper?

How can we use Zookeeper clustering (ensemble) , is there any API for Zookeeper clustering,
any direction would highly appreciated.

not initializing specific process for it but using the Helix app (our app that uses Helix
API)?