helix-user mailing list archives

From Ming Fang <mingf...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Is zookeeper for Helix has standalone JAVA process?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:22:57 GMT
That's not possible at this time.
ZAC currently must run as a standalone process and only allow one instance.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 14, 2013, at 7:35 AM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:

> If I have 40 app server instances (JVMs) could I run participants on all of them, controller
and zookeeper just on 5 of then, but on the same process of the 5 participants?

> On Jun 14, 2013 2:29 PM, "Ming Fang" <mingfang@mac.com> wrote:
>> ZAC currently runs Zookeeper in standalone mode.
>> Therefore you can only run one instance.
>> If you also run the participant in it then that limits you to one instance of the
participant also.

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ming,
>>>
>>> Thank you for fast turnaround response.
>>>
>>> Could I run my app that uses Helix (participant), controller and zookeeper on
the same process?

>>> Cheers,
>>> Erwin

have separate java processes but we have more then 40 boxes with app server that we'd like
to manage them with Helix Leader election and cannot add more processes because each additional
java process requires management (monitoring, alarms, KPI, etc...), so we prefer to avoid
the additional java processes. We'll not manage to approve additional processes

run zookeeper and Helix controller. Its better that they are two separate process. These boxes
need not be powerful but isolating zookeeper and helix controller from actual server is a
good deployment practice. See http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_zkMulitServerSetup
on how to use zookeeper clustering ensemble.

as part of these processes, instead simply provide the zookeeper address (zk1:port1,zk2:port2,zk3:port3)
when you invoke Helix Api.

start the Zookeeper programmatically using the Zookeeper API.

the Zookeeper from the Helix app (out app that uses Helix) would we have specific process
for Zookeeper? Would we have one process for our app and another for the Zookeeper?
the Helix app programmatically but using the commands, whether then would we have specific
process for Zookeeper?

app, programmatically, How can we use Zookeeper clustering (ensemble) , is there any API for
Zookeeper clustering, any direction would highly appreciated.

and not initializing specific process for it but using the Helix app (our app that uses Helix
API)?