helix-user mailing list archives

From Ming Fang <mingf...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Is zookeeper for Helix has standalone JAVA process?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:15:23 GMT
Erwin

Here is an example of running Zookeeper, and Controller in the same process,
https://github.com/mingfang/apache-helix/blob/master/helix-example/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/examples/ZAC.java
We have this in production.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 14, 2013, at 3:34 AM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:

> I know that it's better that participants, controller and zookeeper will have separate
java processes but we have more then 40 boxes with app server that we'd like to manage them
with Helix Leader election and cannot add more processes because each additional java process
requires management (monitoring, alarms, KPI, etc...), so we prefer to avoid the additional
java processes. We'll not manage to approve additional processes

> Your insight would appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Erwin
>
> On Jun 14, 2013 9:58 AM, "kishore g" <g.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Erwin,
>>
>> This is how I would setup your cluster. Allocate 3 boxes that only run zookeeper
and Helix controller. Its better that they are two separate process. These boxes need not
be powerful but isolating zookeeper and helix controller from actual server is a good deployment
practice. See http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_zkMulitServerSetup
on how to use zookeeper clustering ensemble.

>> Run the real servers on the rest of the boxes. Do not start zookeeper as part of
these processes, instead simply provide the zookeeper address (zk1:port1,zk2:port2,zk3:port3)
when you invoke Helix Api.

>> Thanks,
>> Kishore G
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Erwin Karbasi <erwin@optinity.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Kishore,
>>>
>>> We have  more then 50 nodes.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Erwin

programmatically using the Zookeeper API.

the Helix app (out app that uses Helix) would we have specific process for Zookeeper? Would
we have one process for our app and another for the Zookeeper?
programmatically but using the commands, whether then would we have specific process for Zookeeper?

How can we use Zookeeper clustering (ensemble) , is there any API for Zookeeper clustering,
any direction would highly appreciated.

specific process for it but using the Helix app (our app that uses Helix API)?