helix-user mailing list archives

From Vinayak Borkar <vinay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some newbie questions
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 16:22:52 GMT
Looking at the signature of HelixAdmin.enablePartition, I see this:

   void enablePartition(boolean enabled,
                        String clusterName,
                        String instanceName,
                        String resourceName,
                        List<String> partitionNames);

So when you disable the partition, you are doing so only on a perticular
instance. So my understanding is that the same partition at other
instances will participate in an election to come out of standby.

Vinayak

On 5/2/13 9:14 AM, Alexandre Porcelli wrote:
> Hi Vinayak,
>
>   Thanks for your quick answer, but I don't think this would be the case... once the
partition `represents` the locked resource, so If i disable it no other instance in the cluster
will be able to be promoted to Leader (at this point other nodes should be in standby just
waiting to be able to acquire the lock - in other words, become Leader).
>   Anyway thanks for your support.
>
> Cheers,
> ---
> Alexandre Porcelli
> porcelli@redhat.com
>

> On May 2, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Vinayak Borkar <vinayakb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>   1. I'm using a LeaderStandby in order to build a single global lock on my cluster,
it works as expected.. but in order to release the lock I have to put the current leader in
standby... I could achieve this by disabling the current instance. It works, but doing this
I loose (at least seems to be) the ability to send/receive user defined messages. I'd like
to know if it's possible to, via an api call, force a transition from Leader to Standby without
disable an instance.

>> I am a newbie to Helix too and I had a similar question a few days ago. Have you
looked into disabling the resource by using the disablePartition() call in HelixAdmin using
a partition number of 0? This should disable just the resource without impacting the instance.

>> Vinayak
>>

>>>   2. I've been taking a quick look on Helix codebase, more specific on ZooKeeper
usage. Seems that you're using ZooKeeper as a default implementation, but Helix architecture
is not tied to it, right? I'm asking this, because I'm interested to implement (in a near
future) a different backend (Infinispan).