helix-user mailing list archives

From Alexandre Porcelli <porce...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Some newbie questions
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 17:26:02 GMT
Hi Vinayak,

 You were right, all my mistake! Disabling the partition works like a charm! Thank you very
much.

Regards,
---
Alexandre Porcelli
porcelli@redhat.com

On May 2, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Vinayak Borkar <vinayakb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at the signature of HelixAdmin.enablePartition, I see this:
>
>  void enablePartition(boolean enabled,
>                       String clusterName,
>                       String instanceName,
>                       String resourceName,
>                       List<String> partitionNames);
>

> So when you disable the partition, you are doing so only on a perticular instance. So
my understanding is that the same partition at other instances will participate in an election
to come out of standby.

> Vinayak
>

> On 5/2/13 9:14 AM, Alexandre Porcelli wrote:
>> Hi Vinayak,
>>
>>  Thanks for your quick answer, but I don't think this would be the case... once the
partition `represents` the locked resource, so If i disable it no other instance in the cluster
will be able to be promoted to Leader (at this point other nodes should be in standby just
waiting to be able to acquire the lock - in other words, become Leader).
>>  Anyway thanks for your support.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ---
>> Alexandre Porcelli
>> porcelli@redhat.com

cluster, it works as expected.. but in order to release the lock I have to put the current
leader in standby... I could achieve this by disabling the current instance. It works, but
doing this I loose (at least seems to be) the ability to send/receive user defined messages.
I'd like to know if it's possible to, via an api call, force a transition from Leader to Standby
without disable an instance.

>>> I am a newbie to Helix too and I had a similar question a few days ago. Have
you looked into disabling the resource by using the disablePartition() call in HelixAdmin
using a partition number of 0? This should disable just the resource without impacting the
instance.

>>> Vinayak

usage. Seems that you're using ZooKeeper as a default implementation, but Helix architecture
is not tied to it, right? I'm asking this, because I'm interested to implement (in a near
future) a different backend (Infinispan).