helix-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using partitions in Helix
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:09:02 GMT
Hey Kishore,

Thanks for your response.

> 2. Set your own idealstate
>
> In Helix partition is just a logical name. So you can always generate an
> idealstate with partition names as follows.
>
> {resource_k1start, resource_k2start, resource_k3start} or even
> {resource_k1start-k1end}.. to make the mapping explicit.
Is there an example of this in the code/tests? I couldn't see anything
in the recipes.

> Currently Helix does not understand the concept of a partition being split,
> you will have to program it yourself by changing the idealstate during
> splits. We have a jira for this and we are working on the initial design.
> Your inputs will be valuable. I will try to add more details to the JIRA.
> This is an important feature and we plan to support it as a first class
> citizen in Helix so that one can benefit from other features like
> throttling ( for example, one could say that dont do more than X splits
> across cluster, node etc)
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HELIX-69.
I'll need to get some hands on experience before being able to give
any valuable feedback. I'll definitely keep an eye on it
though. Splitting is something we don't plan for our prototype, but
will be something we'll want in the future if we proceed. We'd be
happen to contribute our findings to helix if there isn't already a
solution by then.

-Ivan