helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Specifying partition placement using AUTO
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:14:26 GMT
Hi Ming,

There is an example
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=blob;f=helix-core/src/main/java/org/apache/helix/examples/IdealStateExample.java;hb=437eb42e
.
admin.addResource(clusterName, resourceName, numPartitions,
stateModelName, "AUTO");
// rebalance resource "TestDB" using 3 replicas
admin.rebalance(clusterName, resourceName, numReplica);

This will automatically do the partition placement among the nodes in the
cluster. We use a mix of consistent hashing and crush
http://www.ssrc.ucsc.edu/Papers/weil-sc06.pdf to do the placement.

But i think you need a way to come up with your own logic of assigning the
replica set for a partition. You can find an example for that in
BaseStageTest. See setupIdealState
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-helix.git;a=blob;f=helix-core/src/test/java/org/apache/helix/controller/stages/BaseStageTest.java;h=ed54e6facdc17b40bd8eeb56c4cfaa5ad39ea91b;hb=437eb42e

Here is the code snippet.http://pastebin.com/e2LXtq46.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Kishore G