helix-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Carrying over previous session state in new participant
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:28:48 GMT
Hi Abhishek,

We only carry over the fact that the participant hosted that partition. The
state of that partition will be reset to initial state( default:OFFLINE).
The idea behind this design was to detect resource deletion when the
participant was down and inform that participant when it comes up to drop
data or any local state associated with that partition. Once the drop
notification is handled, it will be removed from current state and external
view.

Can you confirm that resetting the state to OFFLINE after restart is a
problem in your case.

If you really need to avoid this behavior then you can implement
preConnectCallback and remove the previous session info. This wont be a
problem with future Helix version but you will have to still confirm that
old participant is dead. A better way would be provide a way to explicitly
specify a flag to not carry over the previous state. Can you please file a
jira for this. I can imagine this being useful in various use cases.

thanks,
Kishore G