helix-user mailing list archives

From Abhishek Rai <abhishek...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about participant dropping a subset of assigned partitions
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 01:44:16 GMT
Hi Helix users!

I'm a Helix newbie and need some advice about a use case.  I'm using Helix
to manage a storage system which fits the description of a DDS
("distributed data service" as defined in the Helix SOCC paper).  Each
participant hosts a bunch of partitions of a resource, as assigned by the
controller.  The set of partitions assigned to a participant changes
dynamically as the controller rebalances partitions, nodes join or leave,
etc.

Additionally, I need the ability for a participant to "drop" a subset of
partitions currently assigned to it.  When a partition is dropped by a
participant, Helix would remove the partition from the current state of the
instance, update the external view, and make the partition available for
rebalancing by the controller.  Does the Java API provide a way of
accomplishing this?  If not, are there any workarounds?  Or, was there a
design rationale to disallow such actions from the participant?

Thanks,
Abhishek