helix-user mailing list archives

From Vinayak Borkar <vbo...@yahoo.com>
Subject State transitions of partitions
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:16:05 GMT
Hi Guys,

I am trying to understand how state transitions work in Helix. My
understanding is that once a controller decides to perform a state
transition, this information is conveyed to the relevant participants. A
method corresponding to the transitions is invoked on the state model
object at the participant corresponding to the partition whose state
needs to change.

When state transitions involve data movement, performing the actual
transition at the participant is not an instantaneous activity. So while
the invocation of the transition function triggers the actual data
movement, is there a way for the participant to indicate that the
transition is complete? What is the state of the system while a
transition is being effected on the cluster?

I am guessing Helix needs to model the state of an in-progress
transition to correctly provide throttling guarantees on the cluster.

Where should I be looking in the code to understand how this works?

Thanks,
Vinayak