hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Sharma <rahul0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop-Eclipse project contribution
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:27:20 GMT
I think HDT community effort is the best way to move this block of code. I
am not sure which would be the best way to do this. May be we do this the
github way, as pointed out by Mirko, or maybe we can push this to one of
the branches and then the community can work on merging this. Be it anyway,
it should be merged in master patch by patch.

Count me in for this !

regards
Rahul

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Mirko Kämpf <mirko.kaempf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Srimanth,
>
> I am not sure if I get it right. The contribution is quite big, so
> small patches will be
> inconvinient and you have no chance for doing it in this way. But the ASF
> roles
> are against a large "one block" contribution.
>
> PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.
>
> But in order do fit into the process I suggest to upload
> your contribution to a github repository. From there we can
> start to review and merge the code patch by patch.
> I voluntere in this process.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mirko
>

> 2013/7/3 Srimanth Gunturi <srimanth@gmail.com>:
> > Hi Suresh,
> > Sorry for the confusion. I meant to request for committer ability, not
> > contributor.
> > I am currently a committer with the Apache Ambari project.
> >
> > Imho, this work will require revision control before it can be made
> > workable. With patches, I would have to do this privately, and cannot
> > collaborate with anyone in the community. That was the reasoning behind
> the
> > request.
> >
> > In any case, the size of contribution will depend on further discussion
> > with committers on how to structure the code.
> > I am hoping to start the discussion soon.
> > Best regards,
> > Srimanth
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> >> will

> worked
> >> on.
> >> process.
> >>
> >> Hi Srimanth,
> >>
> >> As you already know from being a committer on Ambari, there is no formal
> >> access for contributors. The asf roles [1] describe these in detail. All
> >> contributors have to submit the code as patches to JIRA issues. So
> kindly
> >> work with patches for now. Bulk contributions like this are favorably
> >> considered and quickly get voted in as committers, but thats subjective
> and
> >> also there is a latency with such voting (especially for incubating
> >> projects). So i suggest you not to wait and start sending with the merge
> >> and keep turning in patches. It will be little inconvenient, but
> patches,
> >> reviews and acceptance are the bets way to grab others attention and
> >> interest.
> >>
> >> Suresh
> >> [1] - http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

> functionalities