hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Srimanth Gunturi <srima...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop-Eclipse project contribution
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 07:32:09 GMT
Hi Suresh,
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to request for committer ability, not
contributor.
I am currently a committer with the Apache Ambari project.

Imho, this work will require revision control before it can be made
workable. With patches, I would have to do this privately, and cannot
collaborate with anyone in the community. That was the reasoning behind the
request.

In any case, the size of contribution will depend on further discussion
with committers on how to structure the code.
I am hoping to start the discussion soon.
Best regards,
Srimanth

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Srimanth Gunturi <srimanth@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Adam, Chris,
> > I will take time to look into HDT code.
> > In the meantime I have created Epic HDT-32: Merge the code base of
> > Hadoop-Eclipse project into
> > HDT<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDT-32> to
> > track the merging process.
> > It contains broad subtasks which need to be accomplished. Each of them
> will
> > need good amount of discussions.
> >
> > I suggest the creation of a stream where the merge process can be worked
> on.
> > I would like to request contributor access to work on the merging
> process.
>
> Hi Srimanth,
>
> As you already know from being a committer on Ambari, there is no formal
> access for contributors. The asf roles [1] describe these in detail. All
> contributors have to submit the code as patches to JIRA issues. So kindly
> work with patches for now. Bulk contributions like this are favorably
> considered and quickly get voted in as committers, but thats subjective and
> also there is a latency with such voting (especially for incubating
> projects). So i suggest you not to wait and start sending with the merge
> and keep turning in patches. It will be little inconvenient, but patches,
> reviews and acceptance are the bets way to grab others attention and
> interest.
>
> Suresh
> [1] - http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles
>
> > The first goal would be to get to a point where the base functionalities
> of
> > both projects are preserved for the community.
> >
> > With regards to the JIRA model, I am thinking we need 2 more components
> > under HDT - 'Common' and 'ZooKeeper'.
> > 'Common' would be for issues with base code common to all services.
> > Regards,
> > Srimanth
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Srimanth seem to be a committer and has ICLA on file. So should be ready
> >> to proceed to JIRA's and contributions.
> >>
> >> Suresh

Eclipse