hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop-Eclipse project contribution
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 02:32:54 GMT
On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Srimanth Gunturi <srimanth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adam, Chris,
> I will take time to look into HDT code.
> In the meantime I have created Epic HDT-32: Merge the code base of
> Hadoop-Eclipse project into
> HDT<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDT-32> to
> track the merging process.
> It contains broad subtasks which need to be accomplished. Each of them will
> need good amount of discussions.
>
> I suggest the creation of a stream where the merge process can be worked on.
> I would like to request contributor access to work on the merging process.

Hi Srimanth,

As you already know from being a committer on Ambari, there is no formal access for contributors.
The asf roles [1] describe these in detail. All contributors have to submit the code as patches
to JIRA issues. So kindly work with patches for now. Bulk contributions like this are favorably
considered and quickly get voted in as committers, but thats subjective and also there is
a latency with such voting (especially for incubating projects). So i suggest you not to wait
and start sending with the merge and keep turning in patches. It will be little inconvenient,
but patches, reviews and acceptance are the bets way to grab others attention and interest.

Suresh
[1] - http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

> The first goal would be to get to a point where the base functionalities of
> both projects are preserved for the community.
>
> With regards to the JIRA model, I am thinking we need 2 more components
> under HDT - 'Common' and 'ZooKeeper'.
> 'Common' would be for issues with base code common to all services.
> Regards,
> Srimanth
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:03 AM, "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <
>> chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Adam,
>>>
>>> Suggestion: Have Srimanth file some JIRA tickets, and incrementally
>>> add the contribution, working with HDT committers. Srimanth -- do
>>> you have an ICLA on file?
>>
>> Srimanth seem to be a committer and has ICLA on file. So should be ready
>> to proceed to JIRA's and contributions.
>>
>> Suresh
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>>> Senior Computer Scientist
>>> NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
>>> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
>>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
>>> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>>> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
>>> University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA

Apache.