hdt-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Berry <ad...@apache.org>
Subject Early aims
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:10:09 GMT
Hello all,

I thought while I'm making progress on the initial split of the code, that
we could take a moment to talk about a rough early outline.

So in the original project proposal, we laid out the initial goals of the
project (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HadoopDevelopmentToolsProposal).

Basically right now the features are MapReduce development (wizards, hadoop
launches) and HDFS access, so getting those working with multiple versions
of hadoop would be the first target. I think we could make this happen,
including documentation and tests in the next few months, by end of Q1
would be a nice (yes, its also aggressive) thing to shoot for.

With a release in hand we can target various places to grow our visibility
(as Bob brought up) and hence grow the community. At that point I think we
will start to feel where to go next, things like Pig are attractive targets
for tools, but as we drive and build the community the direction will
become clearer.

So what else would people like to throw into the ring here?

Cheers,
Adam